Pages

Monday, September 17, 2007

How to make Rava Idlis when you have almost run out of rava
Latha's rava idli recipe had me drooling and ready to grease my idli plates. I've been waiting for god-knows-how-long to find the perfect rava idli recipe....and I tell you, this is it!!! Now, I had all the ingredients on hand except rava....I had just about a quarter cup of this main ingredient. So I packed hubby off to the store to get me some. So what if it was a lazy Sunday evening and he really didn't want to get off the bean bag? Well, it was going to be rava idli or no dinner.....that threat had the desired effect. Only thing is, instead of getting me rava he ended up getting idli rava.....and he blames the store for this....says they don't label stuff properly.......aaaaaarrrrgghhh....MEN!!!

Neways, there was no changing my mind....nothing would come between me and a plateful of fluffy idlis. Latha's recipe is perfect. I've got to thank her for sharing this. I followed it to the t ....except that I used 1/4 cup of rava and 3/4 of idli rava.....the rest of it exactly as she has detailed here.
The idlis turned out soft, fluffy....and I don't know how but they were this wonderful shade that's somewhere between cream and the lightest of yellow.
I do have pics to show, but like I've said in many of my previous posts, it's going to be a while before I upload those.
Iam sending Asha of Foodies Hope a serving of these idlis for her RCI - Karnataka event.

Pic updated..........FINALLY!!!

7 comments:

lakshmi said...

idli rava is a good substitute :D - although i guess the texture and colour of idlis will change.

idli rava is rice, while semolina is made out of wheat - the rice goodness must have given you the fluffiness. i am so glad this turned out well for you.

FH said...

Jaya,adding Idly Rava sounds like a great, best of both Worlds!:))
Post when you can before 25th and send it.Love to have this variation of Rava Idly too.I haven't made Rava idlies in a long time too, got to do it one day!:))

Jyothi said...

Hi Jaya! even I tried latha's rava idli as is. Same experience with me too. Really love them. I tried with semolina only. Next time I will try your version too. Thanks.

Cynthia said...

Nothing like finding the perfect recipe to suit our tastes.

Sharmi said...

I have never made rava idlis. nice idea though.

Mansi said...

Hahahhaa...all men are same!! I made rava dhoklas recently (on my blog) and they came out well:) I love rava idlis with chutney:)

FH said...

I just uploaded this photo at FH round up Jaya. Thanks!:))