Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Keera molagootal


This is the quintessential Kerala Iyer comfort food. I make keera molagootal so often that my blog feels incomplete without giving it a mention. Stated very simply, it is a gravy that is made by combining cooked spinach with a mildly spiced coconut-chilli mix and tuar dal. It is almost always served as an accompaniment to rice, though some people(including yours truly) also serve it with rotis.
What you need:
Spinach - any kind - 1 bunch (Iam partial to red spinach) - chopped fine
Tuar dal - 1 cup, cooked
To grind :
Red chilli - 3
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Fresh grated coconut - 3/4 cup

Heat a tsp of oil. Fry the urad dal and red chilli in it until reddish brown. Let it cool and then grind it to a smooth paste along with the coconut.
Take the chopped spinach in a kadai. Add sufficient water, turmeric powder and salt. Let it boil until the spinach is well cooked and soft. Mash it a little with a masher or the back of a ladle at this point. Stir in the ground mixture and let it boil for 5-6 minutes or until the raw smell goes away. Add the cooked tuar dal and heat for a minute or two.
Heat a tsp of coconut oil. Season it with some urad dal and mustard seeds. When the seeds sputter, pour it over the molagootal.
Molagootal is usually served with rice. Since it is not too spicy and has no tamarind to add tanginess, it is accompanied by either a tangy rasam or spicy thogayal or pachadi. I like my molagootal to be paired with spicy mango pickle.
Molagootal can also be made using other vegetables like ash gourd, snake gourd, carrot, potato and cabbage. The difference between keera molagootal and molagootal made with other veggies lies in the ingredients that are ground together. One of my earlier posts on cabbage molagootal has the recipe that can be followed while using other veggies.

This goes to Sra who is hosting the 4th helping of My Legume Love Affair which was started by Susan.
It also goes to Suganya's Vegan Ventures, Round 2.

16 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

a healthy and yummy dish... like the picture..

sansmerci said...

wow m feelin hungry now seein tht pic :D the only way i love keera is this way .. love it :)

sansmerci said...

hey can u let me kno how to participate in the contest u were mentionin in my blog?

Sangeeth said...

lovely recipe...i make this very often...

Unknown said...

nice recipe with spinach..I make something very similar to this..

Vanamala Hebbar said...

looks nice..new to me..

Srivalli said...

Hey Jay..whats up ..not being around..molagootal looks yum!

Kalai said...

Nice one! I make a similar dish, too. Looks yum! :)

Andhra Flavors said...

healthy and yummi one

mitr_bayarea said...

I too do this often and same method.

sra said...

I love this, was telling someone the other day that I eat most of it when a colleague brings it for lunch.

Seena said...

was thinking to try out one like this..
how are u jaya, couldn't check ur blog for long.. :)

Unknown said...

Looks delicious!

Bharathy said...

Oh MY!..I am here after a long time..and you rock with your new template here..really great!!..

Have never heard of Keerai Mulagoottal..But I am sure my hubby would love this..nice recipe! :)

Cynthia said...

This looks soooo good. Wish I could have some with a roti for breakfast this morning.

Unknown said...

My hubby likes to have dal with chapatis. This new one would surprise him. This one looks little thick though.