Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

By the book

Let's start this new year by showing off our book(s). Which book have you thumbed through so often that it is worn down, but still prized???
No, this is not another event. Aren't there enough of those already in blogosphere? But if you will, please take this up as a tag. If you are a food blogger, I'd appreciate it if you show me your most-loved cookbook. If you are a non-food blogger, tell me which is your favourite book and why. If possible, please upload a picture of the book or a write-up telling me why you like this book so much. Link back to this post of mine and leave me a comment so I can drop by and read your post.
I'll start off by showing you my most-used cookbook. It is......(drumroll please)....

.....Mallika Badrinath's 100 Vegetarian Gravies.
I know it looks really worn down, but it is the very first cookbook that I acquired.
It was passed on to me by my aunt when I was in school and has been my trusted guide ever since. The first time I used it was only after marriage, though I used to thumb through it quite often even before that. The first dish that I cooked using this book as a guide is Rajma masala and since then, I have always thought of Mallika Badrinath as my cooking guru.
I now ask my blogger buddies Sra, Valli, Lavi, Bharathy and Jayasree to show me the book that's closest to their heart - it could be a collection that you've put together from your favourite magazine or a collection of recipes your grandma/ma wrote out for you....in short, something that you treasure. Put it up on your blog and keep this tag going.

17 comments:

Srivalli said...

Thats a good one Jay, will surely check out which one I can do..as said I don't refer cookbooks much..I have learnt from mom, so maybe I can showcase her handwritten book, its like a cookbook alright!..:)..what do you say?

jayasree said...

Thats indeed an interesting tag...

Thanks for tagging me and will surely take this up.

Jayashree said...

Absolutely, Valli....I've edited the post to clarify.
J, looking forward to your post.

sra said...

Jayashree, thanks for tagging me, will take this up. Nice meme.

notyet100 said...

good one i guess i gonna join u too,..;-)

FH said...

I love all her books too, I do have most of them and posted it at Aroma last year. Yeah, looks like your book is well used, good one.

Renu said...

The first and I think last cook book I read and tried all the dishes were the one given to me by my sis in my maariage..its something from..Aasha Vohra..all the dishes were practical and tasty.

Archana Vivek said...

Nice thought Jay.Will join too and tag few people.

lata raja said...

If I were to show you my S.Meenakshi Ammal...I wonder what that would be! And already in a post I've shown amma's note book:)
Can I join?

lata raja said...

Check this out please
http://lata-raja.blogspot.com/2010/01/by-book-and-karuvepillai-kuzhambu.html
I would love to hear from you :)

jayasree said...

You can have a look at

http://kailaskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/thai-vellifriday-kolam-and-by-book.html

This is the first time I have taken up a tag. I enjoyed doing it.

Lavanya Raj said...

i like this tag jayashree. I will show my book soon.

vidhas said...

i also bought her book when i started cooking. I bought her microwave cooking book when i bought a microwave. I regularly watch her show in Jaya TV.

Ash said...

This is an awesome tag to think about, as it is a part of everyone, be it young or old.... be it old or new.... I own her ( Mallika) books too... but nothing I have prepared form it till date.... I love to own & let them adorn my shelves, but I hardly prepare anything from them.... I just do what I know or just refer to my GURUS.... My hubby, Maa in-law & my Amma & Dodamma.....Ashte!!!! But I would wanna try to post regarding this tag... THANKYOU for coming up with this idea & tag.... What an Idea Madamji ????

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Ash said...

Hey Jayashree,

Came back here to leave a note & let u know that I wrote about the tag & requested to be continued too.... So thanks & do visit my space to read about my Beacons...... at :- http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/2010/01/make-room-for-mushrooms.html

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Hey,
I just stumbled here from AshKuku's site cause it sounded interesting. I will be posting something soon cause I have a story to share as well.

Cool Lassie
http://pangravykadaicurry.blogspot.com

Prajusha said...

this is really interesting..
www.icookipost.com