Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mango ice cream

I am busy tapping away at the keyboard when the phone rings. I glance distractedly at the caller id, pick the phone up and tell my mother that I am busy and will call her back.
Why? What are you doing?, says she.
Well, I am trying to use up all this milk that I have in the fridge and am 'google-ing' recipes for ice cream.
Why do you need google for that? It is so easy to make ice cream.
How's that?
Well, just boil some milk....add some maida and sugar to it. If you want, you can also add essence. Freeze it. Beat it twice in the mixie. That's it.
No amma.....that doesn't sound interesting in the least bit.
Look at all these recipes that google has given me - there's one that uses condensed milk, one that uses evaporated milk.....one that uses cool whip(never mind that I can't get it here), others that use eggs, heavy cream, whipped cream - you name it and these recipes have it.
Your recipe doesn't use any of these - it sounds so ummmmm....boring!!!
But it has always worked for me, she counters.
We move on to talking about other things and then after saying goodbye, I go back to google.
After a couple of hours, I pick up the phone and dial a number. When she picks the phone up, all I say is....how much maida did you say I should use?

What you need:
Milk - 1 litre + 1/2 cup
Ripe mangoes - 2, peeled and chopped into pieces
Sugar - Start with 1/2 a cup and then taste and adjust according to sweetness of mangoes
Maida/all purpose flour - 2 tbsp

Puree the mangoes in a blender along with the sugar. I used 2 alphonso mangoes and got 1.5 cups of thick puree.
Add the 1/2 cup of milk to the maida and stir well to make a thick paste without any lumps. If needed, add some more milk so that you get a smooth paste.
Boil milk in a large, thick bottomed pan. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer, stirring every now and then, until it is reduced to
half the quantity. This takes roughly 25 minutes.
Add the maida paste, stirring well so that no lumps are formed. Stir in the mango puree and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. While it is getting cooked, you
have to keep stirring the mixture so that it doesn't get burnt.
Let it cool. Blend well in the mixie and then pour it into a freezer safe bowl and freeze for a few hours.
Remove from the fridge and beat it well in the mixie.
Repeat this freezing, blending and then freezing again process two or three times. This will ensure that your ice cream turns out nice and creamy.

What I think:
Not being a big fan of ice creams, I have never thought beyond the occasional scoop that comes prepackaged in plastic boxes. A surplus of milk at home is what led to this experiment.
As opposed to store bought ice cream, you can actually taste and smell the mangoes that went into the making of this one. Blending the mixture thrice has made it quite creamy.

This goes to Bong Mom who is hosting Of Chalks and chopsticks, an event started by Aqua

22 comments:

Lavanya Raj said...

WOW. Jayashree.. your mom gave a nice recipe!! iam going to try this!!

Loved the writeup!! and do trust your mom than google!

Veggie Hut said...

lovely recipe... i had posted amago recipe in my last post.. do check out.. yours is so simple.. i will try it soon..

the blogger formerly known as sansmerci said...

i was lookin for an easy to make icecream recipe and here ur with it :) so well written too thanks

Nithu Bala said...

Yummy ice cream Dear..thanks for sharing..

FH said...

That's why you should always listen to your mommy, she knows best! :D

Looks great, Kulfi is made that way too except they add Cornstarch to thicken. I love Mango Ice Cream.

Vegetarian Zest said...

I love icecreams but can't have it..for health reasons. But the recipe of yours sounds easy and yum. Might try. BTW, mums are always right...saying this with my own experience. Anything i want to know...i have only one number to call.

Vegetarian Zest said...

I love icecreams but can't have it..for health reasons. But the recipe of yours sounds easy and yum. Might try. BTW, mums are always right...saying this with my own experience. Anything i want to know...i have only one number to call.

Suganya said...

Mango ice cream is looking good. Nice recipe. YUM!

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Ice cream looks yum.recipe,Adding maida is really interesting.Will try your version some times.

Jayashree said...

Lavi, thx....let me know how it turns out.
J, off to chk your post.
Swarna, it sure is an easy recipe....let me know if u like it.
Nithu, thank u.
Asha, I didn't reduce the milk as much as we do for kulfi....I think that's what gives kulfi its dense yet creamy consistency.

Jayashree said...

VZ, you are right.....mums do know what they are talking about.
Dhanya, Sukanya - thank you.

sra said...

It's kind of disappointing when a recipe is too simple, isn't it, esp when we want to launch on a project?!!:-D

AJ said...

The ice cream look yummy!! Nothing like mango ice cream.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Mouthwatering.excellent summer dessert.Hey I heard there was a blogger meet in chennai.You did't go?Looks like the ladies had fun.

Bong Mom said...

Lovely story. Thanks for this delish entry

starry said...

I love ice cream and mangoes.Yummy.

jayasree said...

Ice cream looks delicious...I too followed a similar recipe from Bharathy's.

precious said...

I really should buy an ice cream maker so that I can make any flavors f my favorite ice cream!
dining tables

Srivalli said...

I think it was all worth that efforts right!..looks great..I never eat any thing other than chocolate flavour, but this being homemade can venture I guess..

Inji said...

That looks wonderful.. I can only imagine the wonderful taste of alphonso mangoes in the ice cream. Sadly mangoes here have no flavour at all..

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Looks delicious....yum

Moi. said...

Hi Jay,

Recipe is wayyy too simple.. I have never really heard of this version. I have a clamshell box of mexican mangoes looking t me..waiting to get picked up. I could try this version today. Did you use regular 2% milk? or the whole milk?

Shobha
www.anubhavati.wordpress.com