Pages

Friday, August 06, 2010

Restaurant review - Mahamudra

What?
A new restaurant from Isha life that offers food that is healthy and nutritious. Most of the food is made from ingredients that have been traditionally used in Indian households for ages. There are some that are extremely familiar, and some that are new because the ingredients used are different.
Where?
Old No. 50, New No. 117, Luz Church Road, Nageswara Rao Park, Mylapore, Chennai - 600 004, Tamil Nadu, India.
For those who are familiar with the Mylapore area, this is close to Rangachari.
Will I go there again?
The restaurant definitely does have its plus-es and minus-es.
For one, the ambiance is fantastic. The whole place is done up extremely well....it is hard to believe that such a place exists on a busy street in Mylapore. They also have a spa, a fitness center and a boutique that offers some interesting, albeit overpriced stuff.
The food is basic...they say that it is made using the best of oils and the freshest of ingredients. The usual dosas and idlis are present, with variants using ragi flour and kambu flour.
We started off with a lentil soup which, according to the menu, was to be served with ragi thattu vadai. I was looking forward to tasting the vadai when the waiter brought us three bowls of soup and a plate of bread. When I asked for the vadai, the waiter said they were serving bread instead. No complaints about the bread....it tasted fresh and good, but I was disappointed that there was no vadai.
The soup was good, but then, you can't expect mashed, watered down and salted dal to taste bad, right?
The husband had a dosa (can't remember what it was called, but it had fenugreek in it). It was light, and crisp with absolutely no trace of oil in it.
I had a thali which had akki roti, parippu vadai, 2 salads, ragi koozhu(porridge),wild rice payasam,keerai poriyal, broken wheat bisibela, and broken wheat curd.
When I saw the menu and saw that the thali had all this, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to eat it all, but I wanted to taste everything that was on it. When the thali arrived at the table, I knew that I could eat all of it and still eat something else. The portions were small....there were 2-3 tsps of all the dishes. The akki roti and the vada were of the same size and both would easily fit into your palm comfortably with space to spare. Everything tasted good, but I definitely wouldn't recommend going here if you are ravenously hungry. I really like their idea of making a bisibela and curd-rice equivalent with broken wheat. That is something I am definitely going to try out at home.
All said and done, I don't think I would want to spend 250 Rs on a thali that has stuff that I could easily make at home for a fraction of the cost.

10 comments:

jayasree said...

Well written review..Loved the way you described akki roti and vadai.

lata raja said...

Have you been to Sanjeevanam in thiruvanmiyur/ Adyar..somewhere off LB Road. I loved the food there.
Mahamudra will be during my next visit.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Me too lata have plans to visit Sanjeevanam........ Thanks for sharinf your experience.

sra said...

Hmm ... u will hear from me soon

Renu said...

Now i will not go there:)..akki roti is my SIL's fav, so first i was thinking that i will take them there.

Moi. said...

Hi Jaysree,

That was an awesome review...A pic of hte ambience would have been great...Nevertheless...I have tasted mexican fare at The Park, and loved it...I am guessing mexican food in Chennai is best left to events at good restaurants...I should also visit Sanjeevanam in my next trip and that list of restaurants just keeps growing...

Shobha
www.anubhavati.wordpress.com

mahamudraishorrible said...

We were treating a big group and chose this restaurant based on a relative's recommendation.
To summarize the dinner
1. 3 pieces of glass in the food
2. 4-5 plastic pieces
3. 2 Broken chairs and our guests fell down
4. Couple of guests have diarrhea which started soon after the dinner
5. Food tastes awful and poor service


No real apology from the management and since we were the host of the party, we didn't want to make a fuss in front of our guests. So, we had to throw the money there and hope they shut down soon before they hurt more people

mahamudraishorrible said...

We were treating a big group and chose this restaurant based on a relative's recommendation.
To summarize the dinner
1. 3 pieces of glass in the food
2. 4-5 plastic pieces
3. 2 Broken chairs and our guests fell down
4. Couple of guests have diarrhea which started soon after the dinner
5. Food tastes awful and poor service


No real apology from the management and since we were the host of the party, we didn't want to make a fuss in front of our guests. So, we had to throw the money there and hope they shut down soon before they hurt more people

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the post. Its nice information about My experiment with food.All facilities are available.SelectCiti provides more information Buffet in chennai.