Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ragi kanji

Ragi(finger millet) is a rich source of iron and something that should be included in the diet of not only children, but also adults. I usually add a handful of ragi flour while kneading the dough for chapati. I also frequently make this kanji as a breakfast drink. The hint of cardamom and the sweetness make it a favourite with kids.

What you need:
Ragi flour - 1 tsp, heaped
Water - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1.5 tsp(can be substituted with jaggery)
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Milk - 1 cup

Take the ragi flour in a vessel. Add sugar, cardamom powder and water. Mix well so there are no lumps. Keep this on low heat, stirring continuously until the mixture starts to thicken. Switch off heat and still stirring, add the milk little by little until well mixed.
Serve warm.
The measurements given above are enough to make one tall mug of ragi kanji.
On a different note, can someone give me tips on how to take reasonably good pics of liquids? Every time I click liquids, I end up with pics that look blah!!!
Do take a look at my fellow marathoners' kitchens....Srivalli,
Azeema, Bhagi, Champa, Gayathri Anand, Gayathri Kumar, Harini, Kamalika, Meena, Mina, Padma Pavani,PJ, Priya Mahadevan, Priya Suresh, Priya Vasu, Rujuta, Santosh, Saraswathi, Savitha, Shanavi, Smitha, Sowmya, Suma, Usha, Veena

22 comments:

Unknown said...

This is our child hood favourite.mom used to mix all nuts with ragi and prepare the kanji...very healthy and tasty ...thanks for making me to remember my past....

Meena Thennaapan said...

I love Kanji at night. Very comforting and light. We'll have it with Sundal

Harini said...

Yumm..My mom makes a different kanji with Ragi and it tastes just awesome..I should make it too sometime..Glad that kids like it !

A Kamalika Krishmy said...

Very very healthy meal.. Am sure having this atleast twice a week will help us control our calorie level. Thanks for sharing a healthy recipe

Unknown said...

good and healthy..

Santosh Bangar said...

healthy kanji

Unknown said...

very new recipe for me. I have heard about it, but saw the recipe for the first time. Sounds very healthy and useful.

Gayathri Kumar said...

Very nutritious kanji..

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a healthy and nutritious kanji..i dont bother to have them anytime..

Champa said...

We call it Ambali in Kannada. Very nutritious indeed. If I make it, only I have to drink it.

veena said...

i have nevr tried this, but it looks very healthy, so will:-)

Unknown said...

healthy and nutritious morning drink....drink it instead of breakfast for weight loss too!

Mina Joshi said...

Lovely and healthy drink for the winter

Srivalli said...

That's a healthly one jay! good that T drinks this..

MySpicyKitchen said...

The same in my house.. I have to drink it, if I make it at home..

http://www.myspicykitchen.net

Unknown said...

nice and healthy recipe...

Unknown said...

Healthy one!!

Gayathri Anand said...

Healthy Kanji ...

Treat and Trick said...

So far never tried this kanji but it looks healthy and yummy!

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

This my all time favourite with special taste & healthy drink

Padmajha said...

Very healthy beverage and ideal weaning food too..

vibrantindiatours said...

Delicious and lovely looking. Wonderfully prepared.*
Chinese Restaurant in North Campus