Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Paneer masala dosa

Several years back, my parents and I went to a roof top restaurant which had advertised a "Dosa Mela" that featured more than a 100 varieties of dosa. The thought of the humble batter which we only turned into a ghee roast or uttappam or masala dosa, being churned out in a 100 variants was intriguing. Only when we went in did we realist that more than 50 varieties were non vegetarian and the ones that were vegetarian didn't look or sound very appetizing. Needless to say, we stuck to our regular masala dosa and ghee roast.
Today, on the last day of the blogging marathon, I decided to get out of my routine and whip up a different masala as the stuffing for the dosa.

What you need:
For the masala:

Onion - 1, chopped fine
Carrot - 1, grated
Paneer - 1 cup, grated
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ajwain seeds/omam - 1 tsp
Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Kasuri methi - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste

Heat oil in a pan. Add the jeera and ajwain. After a few seconds, add the onions and saute until translucent. Add in the grated carrots, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, and salt. Stir well. Sprinkle a little water over it and cook over a low flame until done. Add the grated paneer and kasuri methi. Stir well and heat for a few minutes. Switch off heat and set aside.

To make paneer masala dosa:

Pour a ladleful of dosa batter on to a hot dosa pan. Spread into a thin circle. Drizzle some oil over it.

When the under side starts to brown, flip over and cook for a few seconds. Flip over again and spread some masala over half of the dosa.

Fold the other half over this.

Serve hot with chutney and sambar.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#14

18 comments:

Srivalli said...

Jay that was indeed a favorite when I used to make, I used to make it gravy..I am so glad you joined us!

Jayanthi said...

Lovely dosa recipe....delicious!!!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Looks tasty..will try

hotpotcooking said...

Stuffing looks yum.

Harini R said...

Good one. I wonder if this will be accepted at home as they are used to alu curry and peanut chutney only :)

Chef Mireille said...

my favorite filling for dosa..I order this all the time at my favorite South Indian restaurant here!

lata raja said...

agree with you, on how we can make the humble batter to be most creative. Protein powered paneer for the filling is truly good!

Prabha Mani said...

Panner Masala Dosai~very nice!!I tasted this i hotel ,never tried in home!!Looks tempting :)

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

very healthy n tasty too.loved ur idea..nice one.Book marked.
Maha

Suma Gandlur said...

Seemd delicious. I got to learn about new stuffings for dosas during this marathon but I guess nothing can beat masala dosas. :)

Rasi said...

I love this filling.,. my second best after masala dosa!

Ongoing Event : WTML

Archana said...

I will make this when my niece comes visiting she is crazy about paneer and will eat it night and day.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

This will be anyone's favorite

Hema said...

Lovely Dosa Recipe.. stuffing looks yumm..
Following your lovely site :)

preeti garg said...

wow love this recipe

visit @my blog for my ongoing event in ur free time
Ongoing Event--Jump'N Jive @ Icypritz
Preeti's Kitchen Life

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, wat a super tempting dosa..

Padmajha said...

I prepare a similar version for Lil angel who loves dosas this way.Isn't this a healthy breakfast!

Unknown said...

Paneer masala dosa looks crispy and yummy. Perfectly done.

Cuisine Delights
My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Lunchbox Ideas".