Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Putting leftover chapatis to good use

I had company for dinner last night and ended up cooking way too many chapatis. Not wanting to eat the same thing this morning, i just decided to bring it to the table in a new avatar.


Heat some oil. Season it with urad dal, mustard seeds and some cumin seeds. Once the seeds start popping, throw in some chopped onion, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. When the onion is browned, add some tomatoes and stir fry for a few minutes. Add turmeric powder and salt. Tear the chapatis into pieces. Add this into the pan and stir around for a few minutes until everything gets mixed well. Garnish with freshly chopped corrainder leaves.

Njoy!!!

12 comments:

Srivalli said...

ehmm...thats what what I call being consistent with your title!...:D

Lakshmi said...

looks good. I was thinking of coating chapathi with cinnamon, butter n sugar. Bake them to make biscuits. It can make good coffee/tea time snack.

EC said...

Thats a nice idea of using leftover rotis...

FH said...

Great timing! I have 3 old chapatis left! Thanks!:)

Rajitha said...

i know some of my gujju friends getting this for lunch..but the chappati would be really really fine..would be delicious...urs took me back to lunch time!

Seena said...

am very lazy to make chapathis, left over undavare illa..:D

Dhivya said...

Great idea,thanks for sharing

Lata said...

Can be called Kottu Paratha! I guess. I have posted that recipe on my site.

Jayashree said...

Sri, it really does beat eating the same thing in the morning.
Lakshmi, nice idea...I might try it the next time.
Thank you, easycrafts.
Asha, let me know how u like it.

Jayashree said...

Rajitha, you mean there actually is a real dish that is made this way??? I just threw in whatever I had on hand to zing up the dish.
Seena, readymade chapati vangiyalum ingane cheyyam.
Dhivya, Maithreyee, thx.
Lata, yes it is like kothu parotta except that when I make kothu parotta I also throw in some veg kurma into the mix.

Laavanya said...

I think this would make a very healthy version of kothu parotta and be just as satisfying.

Archana Doshi said...

first time to your blog, nice recipes. We called this left over chappati's dish in gujarati as "vagarela rotli". We have differnt versions of these. A crispy, a soggy, a semi :). Its funny, but true.