Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Papaya thoran

Papaya is a fruit which I never had to buy during my childhood. It is something that grew in our backyard....something that we made when the tree bore plenty of fruit or when there were no veggies left in the refrigerator.
Raw papayas were put to good use and turned into delicious thoran, olan or milagootal. Ripe papayas were cut up and eaten as is.
What I have for you today is papaya thoran. Dig in!!!
What you need:
Papaya - 1, medium sized, chopped into pieces
Salt
Fresh scraped coconut - 1/2 cup
Urad dal -1/2 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp

Cook papaya in a pressure cooker until whistle or microwave on high for about 6 minutes or until well cooked. It should still be firm and not mushy.
Heat the oil in a wok. Add the urad dal and mustard seeds. When the seeds pop, add the cooked papaya, salt and grated coconut. Stir well for a few minutes.
Serve hot with rice.

Note :
  • Do not use ripe papayas in this recipe.
  • An unripe papaya that is just beginning to ripen is the best as it imparts a certain sweetness to the dish and gives it a different taste. If u don't have that, use an unripe green papaya.
  • Instead of using just coconut, u can grind a green chilli along with the coconut and add that to the thoran. These days, I've minimised the spiciness of my dishes 'coz my daughter eats whatever we eat and does not like it if a dish is too spicy.
This is my entry to AFAM hosted this month by Nags......
Nags I cooked this today just so I could send this in for your event as I'd said I would send something ur way.

21 comments:

bee said...

that is a gorgeous looking dish. thanks for the recipe

Dhivya said...

Wow colorful and yummy..Never heared this one.will surely give a try..thanks for sharing...........

Mythreyee said...

Papaya is very very good for health. great recipe.

FH said...

Oh, I am so jealous. I love raw papaya, never eaten that in years. Looks delicious!:))

Seema said...

This is a good one.. i make it in similar style too!

KF said...

Papaya Thoran is colourful..I love papayas,We used to make ulathe with that and some times thoran with grated papaya..Next time I will try this way.

DK said...

Never knew that one can cook Papaya's in regular cooking! Good to know

Jayashree said...

Bee, coming from u that is high praise indeed...thank you.
Dhivya...let me know how u like it.
Mythreyee, yep it is a powerhouse of nutrients.
Asha, want me to send u some??? :-))

Jayashree said...

Seema, thank you.
KF, haven't tried it with grated papaya....it's probably too much work but i just might try it some time.
DK, hope u will try it some time.

Sia said...

wonderful recipe jaya... my mom makes similar dish and we call it palya:) i would have gladly made this right away, pity i dont get raw papaya here:(

Rajitha said...

Jayshree..i do want to dig in!!

Cynthia said...

I've never had raw papayas before and that left-over chapati in the previous post, my mom would love it :)

DEEPA said...

very healthy one ....a must try recipe

Meera said...

Looks wonderful. easy to make too, if I get Papaya here!

bha said...

Papaya thoran looks delish...liked the color.
Papaya is my fav fruit and we still have papayas growing in our backyard....

indosungod said...

Jayshree, those days Papaya was not even sold in stores. We had a few trees in our house but for some strange reason don't like the smell of Papaya, maybe the raw one does not smell :) Looks good though.

Finla said...

I love papaya thoran.
We had this papaya plants in our garden when i was at home and my mom used to make thoran like this.
Actually she used to make lots of dishes with papaya.
But here we don't get them. So no papaya dishes for me. Just have to wait till i get back to mymoms place for having them

Sagari said...

thats a lovely dish jayashree

Seena said...

OH, yummy..I couldn't post anything..love all papaya dishes..

Ramki said...

Hi Jayashree,
Am blogging your Thoran as a model recipe in the 1001 Kerala curries cookbook at http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com/

/Thanks for the recipe

Unknown said...

Hey its superb and yummy ,this is the first time,i had seen different recipe using papaya.If you are interested post your recipes in our site so that our members also try this.Also we have a website called www.chennaimoms.com for that we are looking for women bloggers for cross promotion,so please contact me through chennaimomsinfo@gmail.com for further details...