Pages

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Dill leaves chutney

Dill is a herb that I hadn't even heard of until a few months back. When I started looking for iron rich recipes and food sources, dill topped the list on most of the sites and books that I read.Since then, I've been looking for this herb. Yesterday I found a bunch of fresh dill leaves at the local grocery store. They told me that it is soya keerai or the leaves of the soy plant. Even as they assured me that it was not dill, a picture that I'd seen on google images was on the back of my mind and I decided I'd pick it up anyways.Turns out I was right....

Fresh dill leaves
Now that I had dill on hand, I realised I didn't even know what it tasted like...or what I could cook with it. I chewed on a few leaves thoughtfully, trying to figure out what it tasted like and what I could make with it. It does have a really sharp, tangy taste...for today, I decided to grind it into a chutney.

What you need:

A handful of washed dill leaves
One ripe tomato
Roasted gram dal - 4 tsp
Salt
Coconut - 1/4 cup

Grind all the ingredients together until smooth. Remove into a serving dish. Heat some oil and tamper mustard seeds and urad dal in it. Pour this seasoning over the chutney.


Notes:
  • Dill does have a very sharp taste....do not use more than a handful or you'll end up with something that tastes way too strong to be eaten.
  • I've thrown in pretty much what I wanted to into the chutney. Feel free to do the same. Experiment with different ingredients. Next time, Iam planning to add in some onions to the mix.....and maybe some jaggery too.
  • Haven't used chillies in this 'coz I felt the taste combined with the tanginess of the dill would be just too overpowering.

13 comments:

jayasree said...

Thanks for introducing Dill to me. Nice pic

FH said...

I love Dill (Sappseege soppu as we call it Kannada and widely cooked in K'taka), and have many dishes in my blod. Chutney is new, I must try, thanks Jaya!:))

Uma said...

Looks interesting. Never tried with dill. Is this chutney spicy?

Mythreyee said...

I have used Dill only as garnish. I try this one soon.

Jayashree said...

Jayasree, thank u for stopping by.
Asha, I did take a look at your recipe index....will be trying out some of those...thx.
Uma...no it is not spicy...
Mythreyee, thank u.

Pooja said...

i love dill, and till now i tried it only with curry.
thanks for sharing chutney recipe of it. will let you know if i will try your method to make it.

Dhivya said...

hey this chutney looks yummy and delicious...also new to me...will surely try

Vaishali said...

Jayashree, I love dill and your chutney looks really delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Richa said...

dill sure has a strong taste, making chutney is a good idea!

Laavanya said...

I haven't tasted dill too.. interesting to make a Chutney.

Sagari said...

Dill chutney wowwwww have to try this for sure

DK said...

oh!i have used dill in many ways but never thought of using it as a chutney! thats so innovative...will be sure to try :)

Regarding your query, I used split masoor dal for the recipe Jaya. I am glad to note ur generous comment. :)

Cynthia said...

I've never heard of dill chutney before, I'll definitely give it a try.