Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hot off the stove - ICC Sago Murukku

I forgot all about this month's Indian Cooking Challenge until I saw Valli's post this morning. Thinking that I still had the rest of today to make it, I soaked sago in buttermilk in the morning. It fluffed up beautifully by evening and I was all set to make the murukku. That's when the trouble started. There were two packets of identical white flours in the freezer - one clearly labelled rice flour and the other with no label. The labelled pack contained about 3/4th of a cup of flour. I was quite sure the other one was maida though I couldn't tell. I decided to add some water to it to see if it was sticky, but that didn't enlighten me any further. Anyways, I decided that if it was maida, so be it....I was still going to make murukku with it. All the flours were duly mixed and I started squeezing the dough out of the murukku press. That was disaster no.2. I used the achu with three circular holes in it....and it was really, really hard to squeeze the dough out. I tried making it more watery, but that didn't help. The murukku kept breaking out in pieces. The end product does look quite good, though....reminds me of serial lights with little white bulbs at the end.

After 15 minutes of struggling with it, I decided to use another achu and used the one with three star shaped holes in it. I squeezed it into the oil fully expecting it to be just as difficult to squeeze out....but no, that seems to be the one thing I did right....it slid out of the press quite easily and in another 15 minutes, I'd used up all the dough and had a dabba-ful of tasty, crunchy murukkus.

The murukku felt chewy when it was just out of the oil, but turned perfectly crunchy on cooling.
Here is Valli's recipe:
What you need:

Rice Flour 2 cups
Besan flour 1/2 cup
Fried gram flour - 1/2 cup
Sago - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Curd - 1/4 cup
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp or as per taste

To make:
Soak Sago in Butter milk for 3 hrs, please ensure that you soak it enough else you may risk having the sago burst.

Mix all the flour together, heat 50 gms oil, mix to the flour along with salt and chili powder. Then add the buttermilk soaked sago slowly and knead to a chapati dough consistency

Heat oil for deep frying.In the murukku achu, add the dough. When the oil is hot, press down directly as as murukkus.

Cook on medium flame to ensure the murukku is cooked well.

Notes:
Ensure sago soaks in buttermilk well and is soft or else it will burst when you press it down in hot oil.
Cook on medium to ensure even cooking.
Fried Gram flour is fried channa dal that is available commercially. It is general sold as the dal, we have to powder it at home. This is also referred as chutney dal as it is used in making coconut chutney.

17 comments:

Simplyfood said...

Alls well that ends well"all is well"After reading your post its good that you persevered the end result proved thta.Nice crunchy murukus.
My 1st visit here,following your blog.

Sumi said...

good that the final outcome was good.loe to read all those stories about thi months challenge, just posted mine

Srivalli said...

Wonderful to jay..good that you were able to make it!

Srivalli said...

Jay, I didn't see the id logged, pls delete that comment.

Good to see that you were able to make it..

sra said...

Ha ha, serial lights - nice way of looking at the whole thing!

Monika said...

ha ha ha lovely looking in the end

Deepa G Joshi said...

crispy crunchy murukku

www.foodlyrics.com

Sowjanya@Ruchikacooks said...

I didnt make it this time, murukku does look like serial light with all the sago ;)

PranisKitchen said...

murukku looks delicious..finally u did it right..murukke looks so perfect

Unknown said...

looks nice and crispy...

MySpicyKitchen said...

Glad the end result was good!

Unknown said...

Hi,
Simply super.can you please send your contact details because we are conducting an interesting blog cotest for mothers day 2010. If you are interested then join with www.chennaimoms.com and participate with mothers day blog contest and win cash prizes..

For more details http://www.chennaimoms.com/home/mother_day_contest

Panchpakwan said...

Looks crispy and tasty muruku.

Uma said...

looks so yummy!!

Reg. your question on my Banana Flower Pachadi: It doesn't taste bitter at all. Instead it tasted so good and was so aromatic. Sorry for answering your question so late :)

Indian Khana said...

As long the muruku taste gud...dont need to worry about the other things rite....looks gud..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hello

I tried to make it 2nd time and unfortunately it dint happen the batter was not getting out of the muruku acchu..Please tell me what would have gone wrong tried adding water still dint help.