Pages

Friday, September 22, 2006

Padavalanga Thoran


What u need:
Padavalanga (Snake gourd) - 1
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Green chilli - 2 or 3
Channa dal - 2 tsp
Urad dal & mustard seeds
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt

Deseed, remove the pith and chop the snake gourd into small pieces. In a pan heat 1 tsp of oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal to this. When the mustard seeds pop, add the chopped gourd, turmeric powder and salt. Add some water and place on medium heat until it is cooked. Grind green chilli and coconut together without using any water. Add this to the vegetable. Stir well. Garnish with fresh curry leaves.
Serve hot with rice.
Njoy!!!

Check out other versions of this thoran by Priya and Inji

7 comments:

Maneka Nirmal said...

hey jaysree..padavalanga thoran is adipoli...u got a wonderful blog out here..enjoy blogging..

Shah cooks said...

thats looks so easy. good for a weeknight. thanks al ot.

Prema Sundar said...

Hi jayashree.. pulangai thoran looks good. I do this like kootu. my mom makes similar to this one. thanks for the recipe.

Krithika said...

Looks great ! my recipe is very similar to yours. Thanks for sharing

FH said...

I love padavalakai thoran! I haven't eaten that veg in years!! I envy you!! BOO HOO!!

Lakshmi said...

nice blog jayashree, came first time here.

Jayashree said...

Maneka, thx for visiting me.
Shaheen, yeah it is really simple to make and tasty too,
Prema, I too do kootu with this sometimes.
Thx for visiting, Krithika.
Asha, it is so widely available here in Florida....I get it every time I go to the Indian store or the Farmers market. Want me to send some to NC???:-))
LAkshmi, welcome to my blog.