Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chakka adai

Growing up, the meals we had during summer always revolved around chakka (jackfruit), muringakka (drumstick) and mangoes. If there was muringakka sambar one day, the next day it was muringakka molagoottal, then chakkakkuru (jackfruit seed) thoran, chakka molagushyam, chakka this, muringakka that....so much so that my brother and I used to silently wish that those trees would somehow miraculously stop bearing any more fruit.
It's true that you don't realise the value of something when you have it in abundance. Now whenever I visit my parents I come back laden with the very same things that I once said I couldn't take any more of.......
Chakka adai is something I didn't dislike as a child, but neither was I overly enamoured by it. A recent visit to my parents' made me rediscover this dish and yeah, I did bring back some ripe jackfruit so that I could make this at home.

What you need:
Raw rice - 1 cup
Jackfruit - 6 slices (is that what it is called??? or is it just pieces???)
Salt - a pinch
Jaggery - a small piece (optional)

Wash and soak rice in plenty of water for 2 hours.
Drain and then grind along with all the other ingredients to a smooth batter of pourable consistency.
Heat a dosa pan. Pour a ladle of batter...spread it into a circle....pour a few drops of oil/ghee on it and cook for a minute/until the bottom turns golden brown. Flip over and cook for a minute.

Serve hot.
This dosa does not need any accompaniment...tastes great hot off the stove.

Note:
  • The jackfruit should be really, really ripe.
  • Increase, decrease or totally do away with the jaggery depending on the sweetness of the jackfruit.

13 comments:

Deepa Kuber said...

chakka adai looks oo good. esp the color is so attractive.

bee said...

brought back beautiful memories. i love chakka anything.

notyet100 said...

something new..have never heardoff,,thanksfor sharing

Srivalli said...

Oh..lovely..I like jackfruit..so this must be good...is this what you were saying you will bring..I am all like a cat now!...:)

Vaishali said...

Looks lovely, Jayashree. Although I will never be able to make it because I can never find jackfruit at my local Indian grocery. I do miss it.

Uma said...

wow, adai with jack fruit bulbs? never heard of it! Thanks for sharing this, Jayashree! looks lovely.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Wow Adai looks neat & tasty...

Unknown said...

thats a different recipe.thanks for sharing

jayasree said...

Your post took me back to my childhood days. Sometimes I make this adai using chakkavaratti.

SMN said...

hey this is my mom's fav. now its the season in my native.

sra said...

Believe it or not, I've eaten this out of a packet! And it still tasted good!

karuna said...

nice to have u visit my blog. ya preplanning always helps.
the jackfruit dosa is new to me. I only use to have it in kolkatta. its been a while i had jackfruit.

Anonymous said...

Very delicious and I am gonna try it right a way. It looks similar to the wheat-jaggery Ada or dosa I prepare..