Pages

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Pazham Nurukku

An integral part of a traditional Onam Sadya, this dish has now also become a part of most festivals celebrated in the Thrissur district of Kerala. For us, no sadya (feast) is complete without some pazhanurukku. Making this is really easy. Restricting yourself to eating just a few pieces is not so easy.
Here's how you make pazhanurukku:
Cut 4 large, ripe plantains into thick, finger length pieces. Do not remove the skin. Take 3/4 glass of water in a large vessel. Add four or five pieces of jaggery to it. Also add the cut plantain pieces. Let it boil on low heat, stirring every now and then, until the plantains are cooked through.
Oh....and remember, this dish HAS TO BE made using nenthrapazham which is a special variety found in Kerala.

This goes to Priyanka who is hosting Festive Foods-Onam.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

i have had this and I love it..

sra said...

Not sure I've eaten this, but I have eaten a whole steamed nendrapazham with some sugar, etc

sra said...

Not sure I've eaten this, but I have eaten a whole steamed nendrapazham with some sugar, etc

anudivya said...

Interesting, will try it sometime. It is kind of tough to get those kind here, but I am gonna look for it.
Good job.

Sunshinemom said...

We call it chundina Nendrampazham. I don't make it much as I am the only person who likes this in the family:(

Indian Khana said...

Looks delicious...preparing for the Onam for now itself ;)

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow something new. Looks gr8 and simple to make also.

Archana Vivek said...

This is my favorite. But i don't get nedram pazham here...

Usha said...

I have heard of this but have never tasted it..only had the plain nenthrampazham ..looks good :)

Indian Khana said...

There is a award for you in my blog..please come and collect :)

Alka said...

i know i know i had ate this at onam celebration at my frnds home along with so many other dishes of which i never cared to remember names...coz i used to be so much induldged in the taste of whole spread,hot and savoury on banana leaf....but my fav. among them were fresh crisp banana chips with that jaggery bits

notyet100 said...

looks so yum,..

notyet100 said...

thnks alot,..for such an authentic entry...:-)

Durga Warrier said...

Yes. Pazham nurukku is so yummy at the same very light on the stomach.