Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Falafel wrap

When I was a child, rain is something that I always looked forward to. For that matter, I still do love rain. Every year, school would reopen on the first of June or the closest working day to that and the start of school always coincided with the onset of the monsoon. Rain in Kerala is the most beautiful thing you can see. The green that the leaves take on after the first rain is so different from the summer green and so much more refreshing.
Making paper boats during the rains was a major pastime and something of an art. Some of my friends used to come up with double-decker and triple-decker boats!!! Jumping in puddles, getting deliberately drenched in the rain - things that were so commonplace to us, these are the little pleasures that the present generation of kids are missing out on. Walking to school in our new uniforms, squeaky new rain-wear shoes and vibrantly coloured umbrellas was so much fun. To this day, I don't think I've bought a black umbrella - yes, I do have one stashed away in the cupboard, but that's for the DH. Give me my pretty flowered umbrella any day.

This falafel wrap was made a few days back on a nice, rainy day here in Chennai. Unfortunately, the rain is gone and the sun is back in all it's "glory".....but the recipe is a keeper.

What you need:

For the falafel (makes about 20 medium sized falafels)

Kabuli channa/ chick peas - 1 cup, soaked in plenty of water overnight
Onion - 1, chopped into large chunks
Green chilli - 2 or 3
Fresh coriander - a handful
Salt
Juice of one lemon
Garlic - 4 cloves
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Italian seasoning - 1 tsp (optional - I happened to have a packet that I got from Pizza Hut which I didn't want to throw away....so in it went)
Oil - for deep frying
Take all the ingredients except lemon juice in a blender and grind to a coarse paste adding as little water as possible. Add lemon juice to this. Refrigerate for half an hour.
Shape into lemon sized balls. Flatten slightly and deep fry in hot oil. Set this aside.For the tahini sauce :
White sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
Sesame oil - 1/2 tsp
Salt
Thick yogurt - 1 cup
Garlic - 2 pods
Cumin powder - 1 tsp

Take the sesame seeds and sesame oil in a blender. Add a little water and salt and grind to a smooth paste. To this, add the yogurt, cumin powder, garlic and salt. Blend again. If you'd like to,you can squeeze a lemon over this and also add a tsp of olive oil. I didn't.

To make the wrap:Rotis- as many as needed. I made these thicker than normal rotis, because I didn't want it to get soggy with the sauce. Usually, pita bread is used....but that is not available in my part of the world.
Spread some of your favourite veggies on the roti. I used grated carrots, tomatoes, salt, corriander and squeezed some lemon juice over it. Place one or two falafels over it and then pour some tahini over it.
Enjoy!!!

Recipe source : A cookery show that I watch on Jaya TV.What I think of the dish : Definitely a keeper. I love the tahini sauce....so few ingredients and so much flavour. It turned out to be a little watery, though. Next time around, I think I will reduce the amount of yogurt used. I think it would make a great dip for chips as well. The falafel and the tahini make for a great snack and served this way, in a roti, it is a complete meal.

27 comments:

sra said...

I know! How I used to love floating those paper boats in those rain rivulets and puddles. I don't remember double decker boats but I remember different kinds of boats - the single-storeyed ones, I mean.

Vani said...

Love falafels and the pita wraps. Never tried to make them from scratch at home though. Looks so yum, J!

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi a very well written post. Love the falafal.

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Delicious and yummy, very nice recipe after a long time. Great!

Cynthia said...

This is one of those things that's been on my list of things to make for ages. I don't know what's holding me back. I think I'll give it a try very soon.

kitchen queen said...

since we live in the middle east we have falafels once in a way.Its quite common here.Anyways its good to learn and make it at home.You can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments.

Sanghi said...

Mmm yummmy!

Jayashree said...

Sra, I didn't mean two storeyed....the boats would be attached to each other on the sides....
Thx, Vani, Pari, Mythreyee.
Cynthia....I look fwd to your version.
KQ, I've tasted falafels in Dubai once and they were awesome. If I lived there, I don't think I'd ever make it...I'd just get take-away.
Sanghi....sure was!!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Falafel wraps looks so rich n great...me too love rains..too much..:)

Srivalli said...

Falafel wrap is yummy on a rainy day...me too missing the rainy season this year.

Srivalli said...

wow thats a great dish Jay...rain has been kind of dodging us this year right...but can relate to everything you said...how I love those memories!...

Priya Suresh said...

I love falafels much, never tried to make them at home yet, delicious wrap!

Unknown said...

thatlokks so yumm and recipe sounds easy too..will try it sometime..

Deepika said...

This looks delicious!

Renu said...

Even we used to enjoy those paper boats in the rains:)
I also love that fresh air after the rains. I am eating falafal outside only, now sometime I may try at home also:)

Nirmala said...

Yeh falafel...looks nice and crunchy. You can make pitas breads and they were really good. Does not the sesame oil overpower in the yogurt ? I am a bit hesitant on this!

Nirmala said...

oh and the rains and the boat...I miss then here :(

Sunshinemom said...

I too need to make these. Been postponing:). Yours are a reminder!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

loos so yum...

Shaheen said...

I love a good falafel wrap. This looks delicious.

Uma said...

Falafels look so delicious :)

Namratha said...

Falafel is a family favourite.And putting them in wraps is the best way to eat them. And thanks for bringing back fond memories of the rain back in India...to me a rainy day in India is far more enjoyable than one here in the US :D

Renu said...

jayshree you have been tagged !!

Unknown said...

you need to proud to know these stuff living in chennai. i live in us came to know the name of it after living year long time. good work to research and try this food .

Unknown said...

Falafel looks delicious and yum. Nice write up,took me back to my school day memories :).

Veronica Rose said...

I loved the recipe..although I also spread a little hummus on the pita before adding the other ingredients... also, you are right about the yogurt. ;D

Archana Vivek said...

Falafel looks too good. It's been i ate falafel. I have always had outside. I should try this out one day.