Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

What makes you blog???

Is it the love of good food?
Is it an urge to write?
Is it the need to connect to other like-minded people?
Is it the ability to form friendships with unknown faces?

For me, it started out as a pastime.....a way to while away my time while playing the role of an "H-4" wife. I still remember how, while my newborn baby was asleep, I, instead of catching up on some much needed sleep, browsed and stumbled on a food blog. One blog led to another and I was caught up in this fascinating world where people talked about the everyday food that they cooked and even put up photos of the dish for the world to see.
I thought to myself that I could do this too....and that's how this blog was born.
Not much thought went into the name or the first recipe that I would share through the world wide web. In the beginning, I used to check the blog several times a day after writing a post.....feeling elated at the comments that people left.
Now, after nearly three and a half years of blogging, I feel that the blog has matured, or rather, that I, as a blogger, have matured.
I no longer write posts just because I have to......I post whenever I want to and only write what is meaningful to me. I no longer enter every event that catches my eye in blogosphere especially because it's humanly impossible to keep up with all the new events that seem to be coming up every day and even more so because I don't feel the need to do that anymore.
At the end of the day, though, my blog is still the one place where I can be myself, where I can connect with the few blogger pals that I've made through the years.
Oh....and I still do check for comments several times a day after writing a post. So, go ahead.....make my day!!!

18 comments:

Lavanya Raj said...

I blog, as i get the feeling people are there to appreciate and talk to me.
i loved reading this post jayashree. You wrote what i have wondered.

Chitra said...

Enjoyed reading ur thoughts and experiences.. continue this gr8 job :)

notyet100 said...

long question simple answer i luv blogging,...;-)

sra said...

For all these reasons. The ability to form friendships with unknown faces is a realisation, a consequence and not really a reason. Also, I know I won't be judged as someone with a lot of food on her mind when I blog in this community :-)

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Hi Jayashree,
Thank you for stopping by my space. I know 2 jayashree's from tcr.which one r u? which college/school did u go to? If you upload a pic of you on your profile I may be able to recognize you. Sorry yaar :).

Champa said...

Very thoughtful post. I just started this and sometimes wonder why? There are tons of recipes floating around already and no one needs to read more variations. I thought of doing this so that when my kids grow up and want to learn something, they can look into their mom's recipes so that they'll at least follow some of the traditions that I have been passed on by my mom.

Spice said...

U r so right dear....I really beleive it's passion for food & secondly everyone wants to share the wonders of their kitchens with others, specailly when family & friends are not there(i mean physically) everytime u cook something & u want to share with them....so i guess blogging gives it a kind of satiafaction & u feel connected on same common platform....one more very important thing....uh...oh...... baby woke up.....ha...so may be some other time now....bye...

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Even i started blogging as an hobby. Very soon it came close to my heart, now a days its my day to day activity like brushing my teeth.
The days when i don't write posts nor visit my blogger friends posts, i feel as if i lost contact with outside world. I really appreciate ur post. It shows ur true insight. Keep blogging da:)

Jayashree said...

Lavi, true....comments do make a blogger feel appreciated.
Chitra, thank you.
Notyet.....yes, but what is it that makes you love blogging?
Sra,sometimes consequences turn into reasons to keep you blogging, don't they?

Jayashree said...

Dhanya, thx for stopping by....have sent you a mail.
BB, blogging for you children is a wonderful reason....helps keep traditional recipes alive.
Spice, Iam all curious now...what's the other important thing?
Mythreyi, I admire people who blog everyday....kudos to you.

Suganya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suganya said...

I liked your post and I now think about how true it is. Simple and so practical is what I see here.
I was just googling to find a recipe for my lunch and I got in here to see your post. Just loved it. Lovely one. I am sure gonna add you in my list :)

sra said...

Definitely! I don't know how my comment sounded - bit semantic, I guess - but a third of all my friends on a social networking site are bloggers, and quite a few of them I know in flesh and blood and their company I enjoy.

Uma said...

nice post. I can relate myself to many of your feelings. I still feel so excited and happy to see comments after each post. Initially I used to participate in as many events as possible, but now I am unable to keep track of them. So I gave up!

Renu said...

Every one loves comments, and I am no exception:)..but I blog whenever I want and write whatever I want to.

This tyemplate looks good and now I connect to you more:)

indhu said...

loved this post... I blog (or rather used to before taking a break)... so that I can keep a record of my experiences with cooking... and once comments start coming in, you hit this connection with the reader and that's what pulled me in... what they think of my dish... how would they cook this one... things like that...

the blogger formerly known as sansmerci said...

definitely all of the above will be my answer :)

ur doin a great job ... keep writing often :)

Srivalli said...

Well you know my reasons right..and moreover now its become like another extension of self..I agree to what sra said..the friends I now keep in touch are those I came to know through blogging, so I can imagine the importance this has..:)