Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Hot red chilli chutney

I am going to let you in on a secret today. While my cooking skills have vastly improved compared to what they were like when I started cooking, I still do slip up every once in a while and make certain errors of judgement. If you need proof of that, go read this post where I inadvertently end up making glue.
If you need further proof, all that you have to do is continue reading this post.
The markets in Bangalore sell an amazing looking red chilli. These are not dried chillies, but fresh, ripe chillies that are a beautiful red.

After buying a packet full of these because they looked so good, I let them languish in the fridge because I had no idea what to do with them. Finally, one fine day, I decided that i would make a chutney with these chillies to go with dosa.
I chopped up about 8 of those chillies and sauted them in oil as I had heard that sauteing chillies in oil takes away some of the heat. While the chillies were kept aside to cool,  I  ground tamarind, jaggery, garlic, cumin seeds, salt and curry leaves  into a fine paste. The chillies were added to the paste and once again ground in the blender.
The chutney looked just as gorgeous as I thought it would look.

 I served heaped spoonfuls to hubby and myself and sat down to eat. The husband started eating and his smile sort of froze as soon as he had his first taste of the chutney. He then kept taking progressively lesser and lesser amounts of chutney until finally, he pushed the chutney aside and gulped down what seemed to be a whole bottle of water. This didn't deter me in any way. I had made this chutney and I was definitely going to eat it, come what may. I added a huge helping of jaggery to the chutney and tried eating it that way. Despite my pride, I couldn't eat any more than the husband did. Finally, I learned that there is truth in the maxim - Appearances can be deceptive.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#14

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Spicy, gorgeous lovely chutney.

Cuisine Delights
My Event-SPOTLIGHT:"HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEAS" .

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp,hot fiery chutney looks awesome..wish to have some with crispy dosas.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

Jayashree, chillies have always been a pain to me , i never seem to get the right amount of it...I always cover saying..ohh it was meant to be hot, sorry didnt know u cant bear the heat...worked some time, until i was caught.

KrithisKitchen said...

DH would love these kind of hot chutney.. Looks super good..
Krithi's Kitchen - Serve It - Pressure Cooked/Slow Cooked

Priya dharshini said...

Chutney luks fiery..Gud u altered with jaggery..i add tomatoes as it settles the spicy..

Suma Gandlur said...

Looks colorful. We have a traditional version in Andhra cuisine.

Chef Mireille said...

how funny...because chutney looks so appetizing

Harini R said...

Oo..this fiery chutney is not for me, though my husband might be game for it!!

Usha said...

haha.. JayaShree! I can imagine how fiery hot the chutney was. It does look good though.

My usually grinds fresh red chilies with salt and stores them in the fridge. It stays good for more than an year in the fridge and up to an year on the shelf (room temperature), provided you add enough salt to it. You can add this chili paste to lime pickle or to tomato pickle instead of chili powder.. You can also make an instant chutney with this chili paste by adding some sesame powder, lime juice and tempering it.

Rasi said...

ha ha :) kudos for trying to eat them at least !

Ongoing Event : WTML

Srivalli said...

That's really so sad..appearance can really be very deceptive..these days the quality of chilies really doesn't say much..when you expect them to be fiery they turn to be lump..it always happens with green chilies for me...however those red ones do look so lovely!..hope you guys are alight after eating that hot!

Padmajha said...

Send them over if you have any left. Hubby and MIL will welcome this chutney with open arms!

preeti garg said...

look too spicy....it's hot

Vani said...

SO nice to see you posting often these days, jay. I'm upto speed on all your posts, thanks to the reader. That chutney does look great. Hope all's well after taking all that heat :)

Asmita said...

Looks hot and spicy. Just the way I like it.

sra said...

Jay, add it to some fresh curds and you've got yourself another tasty chutney, only milder. In fact, we make a red chilli pickle and add a small amount to curds for a variation, it tastes really good with dosas.

Sanjeeta kk said...

Those red chilies look very cute..yes appearances could be deceptive..I would have done the same :)

Swati Sapna said...

Oh these red chillies! they always look so pretty and then burn the roof of your mouth :D
I think if you dessed all the chillies, the heat goes down a notch. But since your super spicy scorcher of a chutney is made already, like Sra suggested, you could add curd to it in small portions and have it with dosas, idlis, etc.
Another option is to use this chutney as a barbecue or cooking sauce with meats, veggies, etc.

Gurgaonflowerplaza said...

Mouthwatering here,
Gurgaonflowerplaza.com

Bharathy said...

I love hot spicy chutneys!!! :)