Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Stuffed Idli

This is a variation of the humble idli which I tried recently and liked. The stuffing can be made using any ingredients that you like. Here is how I made mine.

What you need:
White chick peas - soaked in water overnight, cooked and drained - 1 cup
Onion - 1, chopped fine
Green chilli - 2 or 3
Red chilli powder - to taste
Salt
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Idli batter - as required

To make the stuffing:
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When the seeds pop, add green chillies and onion. Fry until onions start to turn pink. Add the chick peas, salt, and red chilli powder. Stir well and heat till there is no moisture.

To make idlis:
Grease the idli plates. Pour a little batter, add a heaped teaspoonful of stuffing, and cover with more batter. Steam for 10-12 minutes until done.

18 comments:

Umm Mymoonah said...

Looks very yummy.

Unknown said...

Sounds very interesting

Srivalli said...

Ah..I love stuffed idlis. makes a good change from the regular..

Finla said...

Wowo really creative and looks so delish.

Pavani said...

Interesting twist on good ol' idlis.. Looks yumm..

MySpicyKitchen said...

interesting ildi.. very creative and never tasted stuffed idli

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Looks Delicious!!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Nice twist to the regular idli..

swapna said...

yummy and very interesting!!

KrithisKitchen said...

Love the stuffed idlies

AJ said...

Idli looks superb!!

veena said...

pics are very inviting:-)

jayasree said...

Love these kind of stuffed idlis...Ordinary ones are not a favorite with me.

sra said...

They look nice! I once made a veggie idli after seeing the recipe in a newspaper, when I tried to repeat it two weeks ago, it fell flat. I felt as if there wasn't enough space in the idli mould for it to accommodate vegs and batter, even though I put only a little.

Unknown said...

whoa !! that sounds great. Love the idea of stuffed Idli. Will bookmark for future :)

Richa Priyanka said...

Hi, I am participating in an event and I tried your recipe. This is my version of stuffed idli. Would be great if you can check it out and leave your comments!
http://ambrotos.blogspot.com/2011/02/stuffed-idli.html

Satya said...

Hey I just saw this entry.. why din't you send it to my event ... but I must say the stuffed idlis are looking absolutely yummy

anu said...

Idli one of my fav and healthy tiffins. I love stuffed idlis too.