Pages

Friday, August 01, 2008

Aloo baingan curry

To while away the time between me reaching play school to pick my daughter up and them opening the doors and letting her out, we parents usually indulge in some light banter. Today the topic veered around to food....or rather, the cooking of it. It seems most people have a cook or someone(usually parents/in-laws) living with them and taking care of the cooking. I felt(still do, in fact) like a RELIC....Maybe I am one....Maybe I ought to be in a museum...
I cook all our meals myself.....we do eat out often and order take-away but every single meal that is cooked at home is made by me from the scratch. I guess I missed the bus that brought the cooks in :-))
Anyways, here is a simple recipe that you can whip up in almost no time at all or when the cook decides to take a break.....What you need:
Potatoes - 3 medium sized, peeled and chopped into pieces
Brinjal - 7 or 8, chopped
Green chilli - 2 or 3
Garlic - 4 cloves
Salt
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 3 tsp

Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds...roast for a minute and then add the potatoes and brinjal. Stir well, add about half a cup of water, turmeric powder and salt and cook covered for about 8-10 minutes or until the veggies are almost done. Grind the chillies and garlic coarsely in a blender without adding any water. Stir this into the cooked veggies. Remove the lid and stir fry for roughly 3 minutes or till the moisture is absorbed.
Enjoy with rotis/puri.

This is my entry to Srivalli's Curry Mela.

25 comments:

sra said...

I had a cook for two brief years - I wasn't eating right as I hadn't found the food I cooked appetising and I thought that if someone else cooked for me, I'd relish it and not eat nonsense. It wasn't such a great idea for various reasons though The Spouse thought otherwise. I was relieved when she quit on her own. I am still tempted to have a cook, at least a couple of times a week, but haven't succumbed yet.

ST said...

Aloo baingan curry looks delicious and awesome.......its my favorite one.....Thanks for sharing...

jayasree said...

I second you, Jayashree. Also can never think of a stay-at-home maid.

Thats one easy curry...

Rachel said...

You have company....I had one who decided to run the place...since then I run the place though it gets tough sometimes..and ordering in becomes frequent as well!!!

Mandira said...

I like cooking and so does aswin so we have no problems :) the aloo baigan looks delicious.

SpicyTasty said...

Wow. Aloo baingan sounds good. Nice picture.

Alpa said...

There was a bus, LOL! I missed it too it seems. The curry looks delicious, esp. with all the fresh eggplants coming in from the garden.

Unknown said...

loooks delicious..nice entry!!

Shreya said...

very nice recipe..

Unknown said...

Aloo baingan sounds good. Nice picture.
nice entry

Trupti said...

curry looks very delicious.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
first time in ur blog...u have got a nice blog with mouth watering recipes...

Deepa Kuber said...

wow, thats a rare combo. never tried that.

Cham said...

Looks yummy baigan and aloo combo :) Nice entry!

Madhavi said...

Delicious curry, and thank you so much for stoppin' by :))

You have very nice recipes collection !!!! Keep in touch !!!

notyet100 said...

NEAT ND EASY VESION OF CURRY...

Anonymous said...

I like to experiment with Aloo always hoping that it will come out great !!! Cool recipe.. will try it ...

Sum Raj said...

alu and baigan curry sounds interesting..good combo with chappathu and naan..luved the snaps

Unknown said...

Loks delicious...

mitr_bayarea said...

Jayashree-

nice combo aloo with brinjals, what type of brinjals did u use, the green variety?

SMN said...

Aloo and baingan great combo never tried it

EC said...

Very different combi of veggies

Rajitha said...

i think when we cook...there is more control on the ingredients..my aunt's cook uses so much of oil in her cooking..we can make a week's worth of food in that amount of oil!..and also remember the hygene part!!...and also i love to cook...so i would have it no other way :

Srivalli said...

I guess when you cook yourself, you are sure what went in and how clean...:0)..thanks for the entry!

vibrantindiatours said...

blog is very informative and gracefully..your guideline is very good.Thank you...
Chowringhee Laxmi Nagar Menu