Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tried and Tasted - Urad dal pooris and potato curry

Jugalbandi - a blog that I go to not just for recipes, but also for their anecdotes and fantastic pictures. When I came to know that T&T features them this month, I bookmarked a couple of recipes. I've religiously done this for the last 3 T&Ts but didn't get around to the cooking part of it. This time around, I did try out and taste the jugalbandits' urad dal pooris and potato masala. Here's the result.I made no changes at all to the puris. J&B are absolutely right when they say that these taste much better than regular puris. Next time around, I might add in some garam masala and amchur to the dough, though. To the potato masala, I added more green chillies and skipped the red chilli powder. Oh...and did I tell you these puris are so much prettier than the regular ones?
Thank you, Jai & B.

Needless to say, this goes to Zlamushka for her Tried and Tasted event.

16 comments:

ST said...

Looks awesome and tasty......

Unknown said...

looks great..sounds delicious!!

jayasree said...

Pooris look crisp. You have reminded me to try that.

Deepthi Shankar said...

wow .. i had never heard of urad puris .. they look very tasty .. will give it a try sometime

sra said...

Dunno why, but it struck me as unusual that you described the pooris as pretty - I think that's one adjective I've not seen in conjunction with pooris. Not that they're not, just that it struck me!

Jayashree said...

Jayasree, veggie - do try it out. You'll love it.
Sireesha, Sowmya - thank u.
Sra, the puris were a really nice colour - maybe from a combination of the red chillies and kalonji in the dough.

notyet100 said...

poori subji,..nice combo,..:-)

Renu said...

We make it very often, this is my husbands favourite breakfast on sundays:)

PG said...

Aren't they delicious! I think this is such a wonderful idea, so much faster and still tastes great. Food blogging is surely improving my cooking skills!

bee said...

another blogger tried it and took it up a notch soak whole urad beans and grind them instead of the husked variety. you will be puris all pretty with black flecks and a slightly different flavour. everyone who tries our recipes says "next time we'll make it hotter". we're wimps and tone down the heat a lot. lol.

Laavanya said...

That looks fabulous Jayashree. Nice choice.

Uma said...

delicious pooris with perfect combo.

Dibs said...

I saw came across urad poories for the first time yesterday. YUMMY.

Sra - You have a point!
How about handsome poories and pretty aloo and cute pickle, and attractive ...filter coffee?

Indian Khana said...

Urad dal pooris looks nice and interesting ...potato curry is always great combo with puries..nice selection of recipe..

zlamushka said...

This is great combo. Love the puris... Great choice and thanks for participatin :-)

emmani said...

~Well I think your puris are very pretty!
Well done Jayashree!
Emma - Indian Earth