Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Peas Usal

I came across this book called Ruchira by Kamalabai Ogale at the local lending library. I loved the title Ruchira....and that's what made me pick this book up. It is a collection of Maharashtrian Vegetarian Recipes. All the recipes come with easy to follow instructions, and most of the ingredients are what we usually have at home. The featured dishes are all healthy, made with minimum oil and quite easy to make on an everyday basis. Kamalabai's Peas Usal is the first one that I've tried out, making very minor modifications along the way.To make Peas Usal, you need:

Green peas - 2 cups (I used dried peas, so I soaked it in the morning and used it in the evening)
Coconut - 1/2 cup, grated
Green chilli - 2 or 3
Corriander leaves - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Garlic - 3 cloves
Salt
Sugar
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - a little
Amchur powder - 1/2 tsp

Cook the peas with some salt and set aside. Grind the corriander leaves, coconut and cumin seeds to a smooth paste, adding a little water if needed. Heat the oil. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder to it. When the seeds pop, add the peas, salt, sugar and the ground mixture. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens. Add the amchur powder. Stir well and boil for a minute or two.
Serve hot with rice or rotis.

Notes:
  • The original recipe called for lemon juice. However, I absolutely L.O.V.E amchur powder. These days I use it in a lot of dishes. I would probably up the amount of amchur the next time I make this dish.
  • No sugar next time around. The peas and the coconut lend a sweetness to the dish....and additional sugar, however minimal, is not necessary.
  • The usal was a very simple, not-too-hard-to-whip-up accompaniment which tasted good without leaving an oil trail all the way from the mouth to the stomach.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the colur of the usal.Looks delicious!

Homecooked

Unknown said...

Looks delicious... amazing... Looks yummy...
Nice click..

Happy Independence Day

Anonymous said...

my goodness!! that curry is so tempting

notyet100 said...

THIS LOOKS NICEND YUM...

Deepthi Shankar said...

peas usal looks yum .. I have had moong beans usal but never had peas usal .. shall give it a try

Nidhi said...

Jayashree! you have brought a lot of good memories back to me with your Usal. This is a famous Goan dish as well. I hv had this for lunch in the college canteen several times.

Indian Khana said...

Peas usal looking gud along with puri...lovely colour too..and like your post abt supermarket too ;)..most of us are like that :)

Bharathy said...

Spring onion chutney down there seems to be an interesting one :)..
Peas with coconut..have never tried..lovely green colour and looks perfect and delicious, Jayashree :)

Cynthia said...

Yet again, I have learnt something new from you.

Rachel said...

I love peas and this sure looks worth a try!
and yes you can drop by anytime with your lil one... :)

ST said...

Usal looks delicious and awesome.Love the color.....