Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mint vada

Mint is one of my favourite herbs. It hasn't always been that way. Growing up, I didn't see mint featured on the regular menus in my home - quite likely because my mother hates it. I started enjoying the flavour of mint only after I began cooking on my own. Aloo pudina baath is something that I make quite frequently.
These mint vadas are adapted from Mallika Badrinath's book - 100 Snack Varieties. The smell of the vadas being deep fried and the minty taste when you bite into the crisp outer shell is an experience in itself.

What you need:
1 cup bengal gram (channa) dal
1 cup fresh mint leaves
A handful of corriander leaves
Salt
Green chillies - 2 or 3
Oil - for deep frying

Soak the dal in plenty of water for an hour. Drain all the water and grind the dal along with mint, corriander and green chillies to a coarse paste. Add salt.
Heat oil in a kadai. Take a small ball of batter in your hand, flatten it on your palm and drop it into the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown on both sides. Do this over medium heat to ensure that the inside gets cooked.
Also check out my Parippu Vada recipe here.

On a different and more serious note, Srivalli of Cooking for all Seasons is organizing a fund raiser to help Lakshmi, her household help and a mother of two toddlers, to meet the expenses of a major heart surgery she has to undergo. Please check this post of Valli's for details and do chip in.

12 comments:

Sukanya Yogesh said...

The vadas look so yummy.....fantastic post

ST said...

Vada looks mouthwatering and delicious.....

Madhavi said...

Delicious vada, great entry!!!

Uma said...

so mouth-watering vadas Jaya! Wish I could grab one from the pic.

it1996 Kooras said...

mint vada looks yummy.. jayasree.. nice informative post...its very new to me..

jayasree said...

Vadas looks very crisp on the outside. Love those vadais for the mint flavor.

Nidhi said...

Jaya!!!
Vadas look really crispy.

The only time I buy mint is during summer to make Raw Mango 'Pannah'. Will try your recipe.

Unknown said...

vadas look delicious..nice recipe using mint..

notyet100 said...

vada with mint is new forme,...thnks for sharin

Haley said...

yum! mint is one of my favorite herbs as well!

Indian Khana said...

Vada looking really mouth watering..and I love anything with mint too...yummy entry..

Srivalli said...

Thank you so much for your support Jay...

never had mint vada..looks delicious!